WHY

The mission of COUGARS Daily is for the encouraging of believers in living out their faith daily in a 'post modern' and sometimes 'Anti-Church' culture. It is also a platform for seekers to feel comfortable asking tough questions. Please welcome everyone as we comment and post daily about 'A Slice of Infinity' from RZIM as well as challenge each other to walk behind the Good Sheppard.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

In the Belly of Darkness by Jill Carattini

Take about 5 minutes to read this snippets version of The previous day's 'A Slice of Infinity'. Follow up by reading TODAY'S SLICE and forward any comments on your faith journey.

He said,

“I cried out to the Lord in my great trouble,
and he answered me. I called to you from the land of the dead,
and Lord, you heard me! You threw me into the ocean depths,
and I sank down to the heart of the sea. The mighty waters engulfed me;
I was buried beneath your wild and stormy waves.
Then I said, ‘O Lord, you have driven me from your presence.
Yet I will look once more toward your holy Temple.’

“I sank beneath the waves, and the waters closed over me.
Seaweed wrapped itself around my head.
I sank down to the very roots of the mountains.
I was imprisoned in the earth, whose gates lock shut forever.
But you, O Lord my God, snatched me from the jaws of death!
As my life was slipping away, I remembered the Lord.
And my earnest prayer went out to you in your holy Temple. (Jonah 2:2-7)


A Slice of Infinity Snippets:

Sadly, Jonah's idols of self and comfort returned not long after the prayer was finished and his life was spewed back into normalcy. As he rages over the death of a plant and the saving of Nineveh, Jonah doesn’t want to see the God who saved him. The scene brings to mind Isaiah's description: "Surely the hand of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear, but...your sins have hidden his face from you" (59:1-2). Even so, the book ends on a note bidding us to see that God is always about the work of salvation. Whether in the lives of nations "who know not their right from their left" or in the lives of men and women blind with self and sin, God moves faithfully among us. Might we remember in distress and in safety, salvation comes from the LORD.

Comments:
How often it seems we push against God to enact our plan upon the world. May we continually be mindful of Jesus' prayer to Our Father: Your Kingdom Come, Your will be done! In what ways might we bring about the kingdom of God today? Jesus went about declaring that the kingdom of heaven is at hand while teaching, healing the sick, causing the blind to see, etc. In what way can I bring teaching, dignity and healing into the lives of those I come in contact with. Perhaps it is buying a homeless man a cup of coffee. Perhaps it is simply listening to the cashier at the store when I'm in a rush. Perhaps it is moving forward in real relationship with a close friend. Perhaps it is healing the sick. God, please grant us each the courage to let your life live through us.



*The Street Church is in need of donations for the homeless - clothing such as new underwear in the package, shorts and t-shirts; hygiene items as well as back packs/camping gear are all greatly appreciated.
*To comment on this thread, visit the blog.
*Read today's slice and email me with your comments/questions/prayers for
our next posting.
*Check out Life Devotions and see if you would like to receive their daily snippets.
*Invite friends and family to join us on this faith journey.

No comments: