WHY

The mission of COUGARS Daily is for the encouraging of believers in living out their faith daily in a 'post modern' and sometimes 'Anti-Church' culture. It is also a platform for seekers to feel comfortable asking tough questions. Please welcome everyone as we comment and post daily about 'A Slice of Infinity' from RZIM as well as challenge each other to walk behind the Good Sheppard.

Monday, August 4, 2008

A Congregation of One by Jill Carattini

Take about 5 minutes to read this snippets version of The previous day's 'A Slice of Infinity'. Follow up by reading TODAY'S SLICE and forward any comments on your faith journey.

This left Jacob all alone in the camp, and a man came and wrestled with him until the dawn began to break. (Genesis 32:24)

But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. (James 1:22)

A Slice of Infinity Snippets:
Expanding on G.K. Chesterton's clever aphorism that between one and two there is often a difference of millions, F.W. Boreham notes the massive difference between a congregation of one and a congregation of two: "A congregation of one takes every word in a direct and personal sense; but, in a congregation of two, each auditor takes it for granted that the preacher is referring to the other."

The times in life when God seems to speak most clearly to me are often the least pleasant. Yet perhaps it is in tears and distress that I stop listening for others, and find myself most desperate to hear God myself. While we are in Christ a body of believers transcending history, race, and language, so we are a congregation of one, seeking the voice of our maker.


Comments:
I often find myself listening with someone else in mind. I hear things that my mind says, 'oh, how great that would be to say to 'so-and-so'. Thus, making me feel better about myself and my viewpoint.

When God has a word meant for me, I want to give Him my full attention.

Practical Application:
Instead of writing in the margins of your Bible, perhaps keep a journal of your daily reading. Keeping a separate writing area when God gives you something specific about a certain verse or passage, allows you to return to this passage for fresh words that won't get muddled by what you thought of them last time.

*The Street Church is in need of donations for the homeless - summer clothing like shorts and t-shirts as well as back packs are greatly appreciated.
*To comment on this thread, visit the blog.
*Read today's slice and email me with your comments/questions/prayers for
our next posting.
*Check out Life Devotions and see if you would like to receive their daily snippets.
*Invite friends and family to join us on this faith journey.

No comments: